As excited as I am about this adventure, as a Mom, there are certainly some worries, my biggest is 'man overboard'. So, today I'll take advantage of having this Blog and put up a “Mom” post regards safety. How important are these? And how/when should they be worn? Well on the ‘Messing About in Small Boats” website/forum there was this post:
“whenever I have sailed offshore, I have sometimes felt that skippers are a bit melodramatic in the routines they set for how to clip on. One in particular told me that the second I poked my head through the companion way I was to clip on. And on returning back down below, not to unclip till the last possible second. Now I see why.”This was followed by this frightening video, of a crewmember just finishing his watch and unclipping to go down to the cabin.
Another safety article Paul and I like is by Captain Mario Vittone about hypothermia and flotation. Hypothermia can happen in summer conditions and warm waters, it's not only about cold water.
One of the points made is:
"It is impossible to die from hypothermia in cold water unless you are wearing flotation, because without flotation, you won t live long enough to become hypothermic."His 3 rules are these...
(1) When working on deck, wear flotation.Ok, I"ll get off my soap box now :)
(2) If you witness a man overboard, getting the life ring directly to them is critical (vital step one must do it). So make certain that all-important piece of safety gear is not just on your vessel, but readily available and -NOT- tied to the cradle.
(3) When working on deck, wear flotation. (I said that already? Well, when I quit reading search reports that end with experienced mariners dying because they thought they understood cold water I ll come up with better advice.)
after the video and the cold water article...
ReplyDeleteI may not sleep as well tonight.